Sep 11, 2011

Building a Platform is Work!

This whole building a platform is a lot of work. I have joined groups, written flash fiction, critiqued work of people I don't know, and spent hours trying to get a blog that represented both me and my work--all this weekend!

What has gone through my mind over and over as I've done this and read other writer's blogs and challenges as they build their platform is: when do they have time to write!

One thing I have gained from this experience is enthusiasm for my craft. Writing can be such a lonely endeavor at  times, and supportive as family and friends are, they just aren't interested in reading every story you write. Oh, they say they are, but to get them do it at times boils down to begging. Often, I have asked myself why I go through this year after year, novel after novel, if these books are going to just lay on a shelf (or directory) and no one will get to read them.

Now though, after all the reading and writing of this weekend, this whole platform building project has renewed my hope that there are people around who love to read what writers write and who will critique my work greedily rather than out of obligation. I love that!

So I'm off to gather friends, find a few more critiquing partners and get my two current projects done by the end of this year. I may just write another NaNoWriMo 50K piece as well. I mean, why not. Writing is what I love, it's what I do, and who I am.

2 comments:

  1. Balin, I'm the first to comment, yay! Btw, I absolutely love the feel of your blog, the colors, style, it's great! As for your this post, I can't agree with you more. This is exactly how I've been feeling lately. Well, that and extremely negative about what I'm doing *thinking* I'm a writer. It's a tough world for us writers.

    One thing I can say is, writers are to writing, as humans are to surviving. It's that simple.

    Count me in for connections. I'd love to correspond with you! I'm on She Writes, Twitter (candylynnfite), my blog and then there's always old-fashioned email! candice.fite@gmail.com.

    Off to check out the rest of your blog! Thank you for your wonderful comment on my flash fiction. I've never ventured toward the dark side before. It was fun, and I think I liked it! I'm working on a completely different story lately, unlike nothing I've ever written.

    See ya around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Candy, I can't agree with you more. I need writers in my life. No one quite gets why after each novel when I swear I'll never write another I can't seem to stop myself.

    I did love your flash fiction. I loved how it flowed. My favorite novel I wrote was done in that flow of conscience style. My protagonist is diagnosed as a schizophrenic, so I wrote it all from her POV.

    I'd love to hook up more. That was quite brave of you posting your email address in a blog!

    ReplyDelete